Moving House Checklist
Use our moving house checklist to be prepared for your upcoming move and assist with a hassle free moving experience.
Have You Discontinued or Redirected These Services?
- Newspaper delivery
- Telephone/internet lines
- Sky/Pay TV
- Gas and Electricity
- Water (rural supply)
Notify Your Change of Address
- Post office for redirection of mail
- Your bank (to transfer your account)
- The electoral registrar
- Hire purchase company
- Your insurance company to transfer your household insurance/motor vehicles
- Your life insurance company
- Your health insurance company
- Obtain your children's school records
- Local council for rates
- Stores – where you have charge accounts
- Relatives, friends and regular correspondents
- Club Memberships
- Publications to which you subscribe
- Has your doctor or dentist recommended someone in the location to which you are moving
- Your solicitors/accountants
- Your church
- Credit card companies
- Airline frequent flyer programmes
- Cleaners and gardeners
In Preparation for Move Day
- Ensure your move is confirmed with The Moving Company as soon as moving dates are known
- Complete your transit insurance proposal and return to The Moving Company
- Spring clean – discard the things you no longer want, clean out expired medicines
- Dispose or leave for new owners inflammables, (i.e., paints, turps, kerosene, petrol which are items we cannot carry)
- Arrange childcare for day/s of moving (if applicable)
- Dismantle fragile kitset furniture
- Have professionally purged BBQ/heater gas bottles
- Arrange to disconnect plasma TV's
Keep Important Documents Together & With You
- Travel Documents, i.e.: airline tickets
- Travellers cheques
- Passport and visa/frequent flyer cards
- Vaccination records for pets
- Medical and travel insurance
- Drivers licence
- Paperwork relating to your household goods removal
- Extra set of keys for the car
- Plan to be available on move day or have an authorised person available
Do You Need To...
- Have your car serviced?
- Book pet transport/boarding with The Moving Company?
- Collect any drycleaning?
- Return school or library books?
- Empty golf club lockers?
- Book your flights or use The Moving Company to arrange
The Day Before
- Defrost freezers
- Empty rubbish bins
- Drain most fuel from mowers/petrol weedeaters
- Thoroughly clean garden tools, mowers, golf clubs, outdoor furniture and bikes for quarantine inspections if moving overseas
- Empty vacuum cleaners (export shipments only)
- Identify items not to be packed and place in one area
- Ensure washing machine taps are turned off
- Identify the items for your "Priority Cartons" – those items you want first on delivery/or the items for temporary use if going via storage
- Arrange a simple breakfast for move day and empty the dishwasher!
- Water plants being moved (for nationwide moves only)
A Few Important Points to Know
- If we are storing your household goods, the following articles are classified as DANGEROUS GOODS and cannot be stored: ammunition, paint, linseed oil, turpentine, kerosene, petrol, cleaning fluids and aerosols of any kind
- Don't store perishable foods such as cereals, flour, vegetables, meat/fish etc.
- Please don't have your furniture French polished just before moving and if you are packing, don't put breakable items or liquids in drawers (i.e. perfume)
- If you are selecting volume based intransit insurance, remember to identify any antique items or special items of value over NZD$10,000.00 on our insurance proposal form
On Move Day We Need You To
- Ensure your fridge is empty and clean
- Check everything to be packed and moved has been loaded and sign and retain a copy of our inventory list for your records